NextNow Collab is a partner of the WorldShift Alliance, and participated in the 2009 Great Shift Gathering in France. Among the “transactivists” we met (those of us who choose to transcend and include differing perspectives in their activism, rather than operate from the traditional “us v. them” paradigm) was Gareth Strangemore-Jones of WorldShift 2012 (a new global movement dedicated to co-creating the foundations of a peaceful, just and sustainable world by the end of 2012), Club of Budapest, and Events4Change.
We’re inundated with sobering reviews of COP15. You don’t need to read any more here. Read Gareth’s informal report below. Learn about The People’s Declaration which, while not necessarily perfect, seems another meaningful step in the right direction, like the Earth Charter (but why hasn’t that been more successful? The Earth Charter’s preamble: We stand at a critical moment in Earth’s history, a time when humanity must choose its future. As the world becomes increasingly interdependent and fragile, the future at once holds great peril and great promise. To move forward we must recognize that in the midst of a magnificent diversity of cultures and life forms we are one human family and one Earth community with a common destiny. We must join together to bring forth a sustainable global society founded on respect for nature, universal human rights, economic justice, and a culture of peace. Towards this end, it is imperative that we, the peoples of Earth, declare our responsibility to one another, to the greater community of life, and to future generations.)
ALSO, because there’s so much analysis available on COP15 and so little time, here’s a link for an informative report with great links from Harvard’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, recommended by NNC partner State of the World Forum’s Research Director, Paul Ray:
From Gareth Strangemore-Jones on Klimaforum09: Polly Higgins, Positive TV & New WorldShifting Friends @ Klimaforum Achieve more than the UN Manage in Years of Costly Procrastination
Dear friends and colleagues…
I am proud to write to you to commend Team Positive, who went to Copenhagen with such a pure and honest desire to help make a difference that their efforts and energies were both infectious and effective!
We were based at Klimaforum09, the people’s alternative climate conference and from there met and connected with some newly-recruited WorldShifters…grass roots activists, climate and energy experts, media professionals, political leaders and even heads of state plus a plethora of campaign groups, media outlets, social innovators, meshworkers – the quantity and quality of this network, I cannot begin to express!
At the heart of our activities, and as a result of the kind help and assistance of the very lovely Peter Engberg, Positive TV worked with the passionate young people at YourClimate.tv to produce a range of films representing both the official and alternative conferences, the organisations and individuals attending and video documentation of the outcomes and the next steps required. For more, I thoroughly recommend you take a good look at www.yourclimate.tv
Over the last two weeks, we have connected with hundreds of good people and enlightened organisations who want to offer their assistance to co-create a peaceful, just and sustainable world!
While in Denmark, Positive TV and friends pulled off possibly the Coup of Copenhagen!
It was a triple header that brought a framework of such depth and clarity to the whole experience.
1) Firstly, on Thursday 17th December, the penultimate day, we got our WorldShifting friend and cutting edge planetary rights lawyer and advocate Polly Higgins onto Klimaforum main stage talking to George Monbiot (Author “The Age of Consent” and “Heat” / Environmental and Campaigning Journalist for “The Guardian”). Polly outlined the legal framework behind her Universal Declaration of Planetary Rights and the new People’s Declaration of a Planet Earth Trust. They spoke in the end for three whole hours with no drop off of a packed house audience who engaged in the Q&A session with renewed and inspired vigour!
2) Following a request for help from Bill Becker, on the very last day, we helped Chip Comins (Founder, American Renewable Energy Day) and Hans Hendrik (Head of Programming for Klimaforum) organise one of the most compelling panel discussions of either conference – “What Next for US Leadership”. This event was due to be held at the official COP15 UN Climate Conference at the very sterile Bella Centre straight after Obama’s (ultimately uneventful) speech. But after meeting with and collaborating with Bill Becker (Chief Executive of the Presidential Climate Action Programme), we worked with panel organiser Chip Comins to bring the event to Klimaforum. The last block of Klimaforum’s final day was set aside for this most topical of discussions and a very special ending.
On the panel were
* Professor David W. Orr (Oberlin College / Rocky Mountain Institute / one of the world’s leading climate scientists)
* Bill Becker (Founder, Presidential Climate Action Programme)
* Bill McKibben (Founder of the new but very exciting 350.org)
* Chip Comins (American Renewable Energy Day)
* Michael T. Eckhart (head of the American Council for Renewable Energy)
* Polly Higgins (The People’s Declaration of a Planet Earth Trust)
Klimaforum’s main hall was once again filled with an invigorating debate engaging people from all corners of the world and from all walks of life but who shared a common passion for the planet and, indeed, for peace and for justice. This set the stage beautifully for what was to be the closing ceremony of the event…
3) Polly was then offered the floor to read the People’s Declaration of a Planet Earth Trust. This she did with such universal love, credibility, presence and compassion for the people and all living things to whom and to which it is offered, that I cannot imagine a more perfect way to close Klimaforum.
The people’s alternative conference had found its key to unlocking the WorldShift required to transition to a sustainable future. We had offered it to both the conferences as a gift to humanity and it was received with such gratitude by the people for whom it was created. These are the very same people who will now affirm and endorse it, who will promote it and who will take its simple message and give it the mandate required to uphold and enforce it.
We the people have chosen to reclaim our relationship with the planet and I am proud and privileged to have played a part in that process.
Power to the Peaceful!
Sign the WorldShift 2012 Declaration to join us: www.worldshift2012.org